Monday, January 26, 2009

Basic Bread

Everyone that tries this bread loves it. I think it is because it is so easy and it tastes great. I got it from a friend in Logan, Utah many years ago when I was just learning how to make bread and it has never failed. I think the combination of easy and yummy is great. We also use this dough recipe for wheat bread and scones. Yum!

BASIC BREAD

2 c. warm water
2 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp. sugar

Mix these three together and let raise until foamy (I usually omit this part because I don't have time)

Add:
2 c. warm water
6 Tbsp. sugar
4 tsp. salt
1 cube margarine melted

(let raise until bubbly, once again I skip this part)

Add:
8 c. flour (mix well) then start to knead and slowly add 1-2 more cups.

For the Wheat Bread Recipe just add 4-5 c. wheat flour in place of the white. I have noticed that mixing half white and half wheat makes it lighter and more enjoyable for the family.

Raise for 1:15 minutes punch it down and divide into 3 loaves.

Place in buttered pan and let raise for 40 more minutes

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes, take out and butter the top and put back into the oven for approximately 10 more minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment